BUL-GO-GI: GRILLED MARINATED BEEF - SOUTH KOREA
This dish is usually served with a side of lettuce, spinach, or other leafy vegetable, which is used to wrap a slice of cooked meat, along with a dab of kimchi, and then eaten as a whole.
- 1 lb thinly sliced beef (sirloin or rib eye)
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic (can be crushed but remove before serving)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp Mirin (sweet sake, optional)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup split green onions
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots (optional)
- Mix all ingredients except carrots. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Cook over medium high heat until meat is just short of desired completion.
- Add carrots and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve with rice.