CHOCOLATE CAKE - EGYPT
Surprise, chocolate cake is popular in Egypt! But with a twist as the spices used in this Egyptian cake are not usually found in western cakes. I had a thin slice when I was in Egypt. I was very surprised at how refreshing this cake is with a cool cinnamon frosting.
- 1 3/4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, strong
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
Ingredients for Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line the bottom of two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves; set aside.
- Combine chocolate and coffee in a small saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer set on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and the chocolate mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk, beating well after each addition. Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- To make the cinnamon whipped cream: Chill a large mixing bowl and beaters.
- Combine the cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in the chilled bowl.
- Beat with the chilled beaters on high until soft peaks form and the mixture is thick enough to spread. Do not over beat or you will have butter instead of whipped cream.
- Assemble the cake by placing one layer of the cake on a serv- ing plate or cake stand. Spread some of the cinnamon whipped cream and top with the second cake layer. Frost the sides and top with the remaining cinnamon whipped cream.
Refrigerate until served.
More From Grannies on Safari
Ganges River Ritual
The grannies journey to the River Ganges, where they learn about the Hindu life and death customs.
Little Stars School
The grannies visit the Little Stars School, where they watch a special presentation by the children. They also...
The grannies visit the Oodi Weavers, a women-owned cooperative, where they try their hand at creating fabric.
Cooking Indian Food
Grannie Regina learns the rituals fof the Indian kitchen and makes traditional cuisine using the spices unique to...
Wild Game Preserve
While on a unique train trip through South Africa, the grannies make a stop at a wild game...
More from RLTV
Healthline examines the various causes of substance abuse and alcholoism among people over 60.
Know the Score
In "Know the Score", Jean Chatzky delves into the science of credit scores. What determines yours, and how...
Making Your Money Last
In "Making Your Money Last", Jean Chatzky confronts the number one fear for the Boomer gernation: having enough...
An Italian retiree shares her love of her native language through teaching.
Learn how counterfeit money is produced and how you can identify it.
Managing Your Finances
Sometimes, the hardest part about managing your finances is getting organized. In this episode of "Cash Call", Jean...
Love, Marriage & Money
Do you tell the truth when it comes to money? More than half of adults say they don't,...
Find out what is involved in hip replacement and who should consider one.
One woman's addiction to prescription medication puts her in a coma for two days.
Massai of Tanzania
They practice polygamy, drink blood and live in mud huts of dung. We meet the wives and Old...
In "Grannie's Gone Wild", Lawanda introduces Linda to her friends and to the neighborhood by hosting a pajama...
U.S.S. Carl Vinson
We land on the aircraft carrier at sea off San Diego and watch jets launched and recovered, talk...
We arrive in a "Ben Hur" chariot; drive to Wadi Rum; talk to Bedouins,; tour the great desert...
Hot Air Balloon Date
In "We're Retired, Not Dead", the girls set Sandy up on a blind date. Sandy and her date...