CHOCOLATE CAKE - EGYPT
Surprise, chocolate cake is popular in Egypt! But with a twist as the spices used in this Egyptian cake are not usually found in western cakes. I had a thin slice when I was in Egypt. I was very surprised at how refreshing this cake is with a cool cinnamon frosting.
- 1 3/4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, strong
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
Ingredients for Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line the bottom of two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves; set aside.
- Combine chocolate and coffee in a small saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer set on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and the chocolate mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk, beating well after each addition. Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- To make the cinnamon whipped cream: Chill a large mixing bowl and beaters.
- Combine the cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in the chilled bowl.
- Beat with the chilled beaters on high until soft peaks form and the mixture is thick enough to spread. Do not over beat or you will have butter instead of whipped cream.
- Assemble the cake by placing one layer of the cake on a serv- ing plate or cake stand. Spread some of the cinnamon whipped cream and top with the second cake layer. Frost the sides and top with the remaining cinnamon whipped cream.
Refrigerate until served.