Chef Govind’s GAZPACHO, TOMATO SOUP AND PANINIS
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber (peeled)
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Chop all vegetables roughly and add to blender or food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper, sherry vinegar and parsley, pulse to mix.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour
- Serve with chunky breadcrumbs/croutons and sprinkled with fresh herbs (if desired).
Roasted Tomato and Fennel soup
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) canned plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cheesecloth sachet filled with thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, fennel seed and chili flakes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss together the tomatoes, sliced fennel, ¼ cup olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for approximately 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until the onions start to soften.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper, fresh thyme, canned tomatoes, chicken stock, and herb filled sachet. Stir well.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes and fennel, including the liquid to stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- REMOVE herb filled sachet before completing the next step.
- Remove from heat. With an immersion blender (or a food processer or regular blender), blend or pulse till mixture is smooth.
- Taste for seasonings (add more salt and/or pepper if needed).
- Serve hot or cold.
- 2 Slices whole wheat bread
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 roasted tomatoes
- 1 roasted eggplant
- Wilted spinach
- Grilled fennel
- Spread goat cheese on 1 side of both pieces of bread.
- Add roasted tomatoes, eggplant, spinach, and fennel to 1 piece of bread and top with the other piece.
- Place in Panini press or between two hot non-stick pans. Grill until heated through and bread is toasted.