Chef Govind’s Roasted Butternut Squash and Rosemary Cream Sauce Lasagna
- 3 Pounds butternut squash, quartered, seeded, peeled, and cut into ½-inch dice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary (remove leaves from stem)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 9 -7x3½-inch sheets dry no-boil lasagna pasta
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated parmesan (about 5 ounces)
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 15 Oz. container of ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread diced Butternut Squash in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Lightly sprinkle squash with a pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Roast squash in oven about 10 minutes. Stir squash and roast 10 minutes more, or until tender and beginning to turn golden.
Directions for Butternut Squash and Rosemary Cream Sauce
- In a saucepan, add milk and rosemary leaves. Over medium heat, bring milk and rosemary to a simmer. Once milk has come to a simmer, remove from heat and let steep for about 5 or 10 minutes (or until ready to use).
- In another large saucepan, over moderately low heat, melt butter and add garlic. Stir until garlic is softened. Add flour to make a roux.
- Pour milk mixture through a sieve to remove rosemary leaves and add the strained milk to the roux; Whisking briskly so mixture does not get lumpy.
- Continue to whisk milk and flour mixture for about 5 minutes, or until thick. (At this point, squash should be done baking.) Removed Squash from oven and add squash directly into the sauce; continue stirring until incorporated well.
- Once thoroughly incorporated, remove from heat.
Directions for Whipped Topping
- Pour cold whipping cream into a large bowl. With a hand mixer on low, whip cream until soft peaks form. Add a dash of salt and pepper to whipped cream and then with a rubber scraper, gently fold in 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Set aside for later use.
Directions for Assembling Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Reduce oven Temperature to 375 Degrees.
- Lightly butter a 13x9x3 baking dish
- Pour 1 cup of Butternut Squash and Rosemary Cream Sauce into baking dish (sauce may not cover bottom completely) then place 3 lasagna sheets on top of sauce, leaving space between them.
- Spread half of remaining sauce over pasta and sprinkle with ½ cup Parmesan Cheese.
- Add 3 more sheets of pasta on top of the Parmesan cheese layer, and then spread a layer of Ricotta Cheese over the pasta and the remaining ½ cup of Parmesan Cheese.
- Add the rest of the Butternut Squash Sauce and place the last 3 sheets of Pasta on top.
- Spread the Whipping cream mixture you made earlier evenly over top pasta layer, making sure pasta is completely covered.
- Cover dish tightly with foil, tenting slightly to prevent foil from touching top layer, and bake in middle of oven 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake lasagna 10 minutes more, or until top is bubbling and golden.
- Let lasagna stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.