Chef Govind's Meyer Lemon Semifreddo with Pomegranate Seeds and Pomegranate Molasses
Ingredients for Semifreddo
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1 ¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh Meyer lemon juice or regular lemon juice
- 5-10 pieces of biscotti, crushed to make a crust
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons finely grated Meyer lemon peel or regular lemon peel
- 2 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
- Pomegranate Seeds (for garnish)
- Pomegranate Molasses (for garnish)
Directions for Semifreddo
- Line 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving generous overhang.
- Sprinkle crushed Biscotti evenly over bottom of pan.
- Whisk 1¼ cup of sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice and salt in large heatproof bowl.
- After mixed well, set bowl over large saucepan of simmering water and whisk constantly until yolk mixture is thick and fluffy. (This is also to “cook” the egg yolk without scrambling them.)
- When mixture is done, remove from heat and whisk in fresh lemon zest. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using electric mixer or by hand with a whisk, beat whipping cream in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into your slightly cooled Lemon mixture a little at a time until all of the whipped cream is incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to prepared loaf pan and smooth top. Tap loaf pan lightly on work surface to remove air pockets.
- Fold plastic wrap overhang over top of mixture to cover and place in the freezer.
- Freeze Semifreddo until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight. TIP: Semifreddo can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep frozen.
- When ready to serve, remove from freezer, slice and garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.