Chef Scott Roark’s CHICKEN POT PIE
?SCOTT ROARK – Chef & Director of Nutritional Services from Meals on Wheels in Greenville, South Carolina, makes a healthier alternative to Tim Conway’s “Chicken Tarragon.” Scott will be making Chicken Pot Pie. This is something Chef Roark would make and have served/delivered to 1,500 meals on wheels recipients in ONE DAY.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock, hot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery, again diced
- 1/4 pound quartered cremini mushrooms
- 1 pound cooked diced chicken meat – breasts, or roasted pulled chicken meat
- 1 cup frozen or blanched pearl onions
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup diced or sliced carrots blanched – or baby carrots are great
- 8 -10 quartered roasted new potatoes
- 4 mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme or a sprig of fresh
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- One store bought piecrust, or sheets of puff pastry (if making individual servings in ramekins or individual crocks).
- 1 Lightly beaten egg (egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make paste (roux) using butter and flour then add heated stock. Simmer till slightly thickened and set aside for later use. This is now referred to as “velouté sauce”.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet if baking in this pan or a just a large skillet.
- Add minced garlic and briefly sauté over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery. Cook until softened.
- Then add the quartered mushrooms and sauté until soft.
- Add the velouté sauce and mix until hot.
- Next add the diced chicken, pearl onions, roasted potatoes, peas, and thyme.
- Simmer until hot and check for consistency, seasoning (add salt if needed and some fresh ground black pepper) and remove from heat.
- If baking in individual crocks, using a pastry brush, lightly egg wash rim of crock and then fill with the finished chicken mixture.
- Cut a piece of puff pastry to fit the top of crock then lightly brush the top of pastry with egg wash. Make a couple small slits in top of pastry to vent before baking.
- ***If baking in cast iron skillet, fill skillet with chicken mixture. Unroll pie pastry and lay over top of the skillet, then cut several slits in top of pastry to vent.
- Place prepared potpies in a pre-heated oven and bake about 20 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Serve with a garden salad to make a complete meal.
More From Who's Cooking With Florence Henderson
Leeza Gibbons teaches Florence Henderson how to make her mother's Crisis Chocolate Cake.
Leeza Gibbons shares her healthy living advice about handling stress through meditation and exercise.
Penn Jillette visits and tries to stump Florence Henderson in a game of truth versus lies.
Tim Conway tells Florence Henderson about his time in the army and using humor to get through all...
Meals on Wheels chef Scott Roark discusses volunteerism and leads Florence Henderson and Chef Govind Armstrong in making...
Actor Tim Conway uses his classic humor to show Florence how to prepare Chicken Tarragon.
Dallas' Linda Grey volunteers with Meals on Wheels to understand day-to-day preparations in the kitchen.
Christopher Knight leads Florence Henderson in making an updated version of the famous Brady pork chops and apple...
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy pork loin.
Meals on Wheels
Florence Henderson visits a Meals on Wheels kitchen and learns what the operation is all about.
Florence and Fran discuss Cancer Schmancer and her ideas about prevention.
Florence tries Fran and Meals on Wheels Chef Sonny Sonnhalter's delicious, healthy dishes.
Nutritionist Joy Bauer implores a new, healthier recipe for lasagna.
More from RLTV
What's Next for Larry
Larrry is brought to the Chester Country Arts Center to pursue a hobby that he has always been...
Host Dr. Kevin Soden takes an in-depth look at acupuncture treatment, and how it can help manage pain...
Viiewpoint introduces its audience to Curling, a sport that is popular and achievable amongst all ages, which can...
Carol Spence shows us how walking in a labyrinth can be a learning tool to health and healing,...
The Waverly Scotties, a boys high school basketball team in the midwest, face an unfamiliar opponent when they...
Roof Deck Garden
In this episode, host Michael Weishan shows us how to transform an empty rooftop deck into a low...
Jay and Blanchette Rockefeller
Senator Jay Rockefellere discusses his struggles of caregiving for his mother, Blanchette Rockefeller, a patient of Alzheimer's Disease.
Female Drill Sergeant
A female drill sergeant takes major strides as the first woman to lead an acclaimed army academy.
Healthline examines the various causes of substance abuse and alcholoism among people over 60.
Know the Score
In "Know the Score", Jean Chatzky delves into the science of credit scores. What determines yours, and how...
Making Your Money Last
In "Making Your Money Last", Jean Chatzky confronts the number one fear for the Boomer gernation: having enough...
An Italian retiree shares her love of her native language through teaching.
Learn how counterfeit money is produced and how you can identify it.
Managing Your Finances
Sometimes, the hardest part about managing your finances is getting organized. In this episode of "Cash Call", Jean...
Love, Marriage & Money
Do you tell the truth when it comes to money? More than half of adults say they don't,...