CHRISTOPHER KNIGHT'S PORK CHOPS AND APPLE CHUTNEY
- 4 – 6 bone in ½ to ¾ inch pork chops (thicker chops will need to cook 1 or 2 minutes longer on each side)
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups flour (for coating pork chops)
- 2 – 2 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped ginger
- ¼ of a large red onion, diced (approximately ½ cup)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup red currant jam
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cooking apples – peeled and diced small
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (more or less depending upon your taste for “heat”)
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Fresh chopped cilantro
Prep for Pork Chops
- Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops.
- Dip pork chops in flour, coating both sides.
- Shake off excess flour and place in egg wash, flip once to wet other side.
- Lift pork chops from egg wash, letting excess drip off, then place in panko breadcrumbs, lightly patting crumbs to help adhere to both sides.
- Set coated pork chops on a plate, set aside in refrigerator until ready to cook for about 15- 30 minutes. While chops are resting, prepare the “Apple Curry Chutney.”
Directions for “Apple Curry Chutney”
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add fresh ginger and onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and the red currant jam to ginger and onions, stir.
- After 1 minute, add curry and red pepper flakes.
- Stir in chopped apples and dried cranberries. Cook on medium high heat, stirring often for 4 to 5 minutes or until apples are soft and the mixture begins to cook down or thicken.
- When chutney is complete, top with fresh cilantro if desired. Serve with pork chops.
Directions for Cooking Pork Chops
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium high heat. Once pan is heated, place pork chops in pan.
- Fry pork 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden-brown (remember thicker chops may require extra cooking time).
- When done, place chops on a large platter and serve with Chutney.