Govind Armstrong’s Holiday Rack of Lamb with Rosemary and Thyme Ash and Mashed Root Vegetables
Ingredients for Rack of Lamb
- “Frenched” Rack of Lamb (7 or 8 chops on the rack)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
Directions for preparing Rack of Lamb
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Trim some of the fat from the bones between each of the lamb chops. (This technique is called “Frenching.”)
- In a small bowl, mix together cumin, coriander, paprika and brown sugar to be used as a rub.
- Place Lamb on a baking rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Generously use your rub on both sides of the rack of lamb, making sure to actually rub it into the meat a little on both sides.
- Once lamb has been rubbed, place 2 sprigs of rosemary and 2 sprigs of thyme on top of the rack of lamb and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes for a perfect medium rare rack of lamb.
- When lamb is done, remove from oven and let rest 5-7 minutes.
- Just before slicing the lamb, use a kitchen torch to light the rosemary and thyme that is on top of the finished lamb. As the herbs burn, not only does it create a great aroma in the kitchen, it also creates an “infusion” of the herbs that will add another level of flavor to the lamb. (Use a large kitchen knife to pat the herbs to control the flame and also spread around the ash. **USE CAUTION with this last step, as you do not want to catch anything else on fire. If you are not comfortable using a flame in the kitchen, this step can be skipped.)
Mashed Root Vegetable
(Prepare while your Rack of Lamb is roasting)
Ingredients for Root Vegetables
- 1 celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of fresh cracked black pepper
Directions for Root Vegetables
- Boil all diced vegetables together in lightly salted water just until they are soft.
- Drain well and with a hand masher, roughly mash all vegetables together with Maple Syrup. (Do not mash them smooth you want a chunky more rustic and hearty texture).
More From Who's Cooking With Florence Henderson
Leeza Gibbons teaches Florence Henderson how to make her mother's Crisis Chocolate Cake.
Leeza Gibbons shares her healthy living advice about handling stress through meditation and exercise.
Penn Jillette visits and tries to stump Florence Henderson in a game of truth versus lies.
Christopher Knight leads Florence Henderson in making an updated version of the famous Brady pork chops and apple...
Actor Tim Conway uses his classic humor to show Florence how to prepare Chicken Tarragon.
Meals on Wheels chef Scott Roark discusses volunteerism and leads Florence Henderson and Chef Govind Armstrong in making...
Florence tries Fran and Meals on Wheels Chef Sonny Sonnhalter's delicious, healthy dishes.
Meals on Wheels
Florence Henderson visits a Meals on Wheels kitchen and learns what the operation is all about.
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy pork loin.
Dallas' Linda Grey volunteers with Meals on Wheels to understand day-to-day preparations in the kitchen.
Florence and Fran discuss Cancer Schmancer and her ideas about prevention.
Tim Conway tells Florence Henderson about his time in the army and using humor to get through all...
Nutritionist Joy Bauer implores a new, healthier recipe for lasagna.
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy stuffed pork loin.
More from RLTV
Healthline examines the various causes of substance abuse and alcholoism among people over 60.
Know the Score
In "Know the Score", Jean Chatzky delves into the science of credit scores. What determines yours, and how...
Making Your Money Last
In "Making Your Money Last", Jean Chatzky confronts the number one fear for the Boomer gernation: having enough...
An Italian retiree shares her love of her native language through teaching.
Learn how counterfeit money is produced and how you can identify it.
Managing Your Finances
Sometimes, the hardest part about managing your finances is getting organized. In this episode of "Cash Call", Jean...
Love, Marriage & Money
Do you tell the truth when it comes to money? More than half of adults say they don't,...
Find out what is involved in hip replacement and who should consider one.
One woman's addiction to prescription medication puts her in a coma for two days.
Massai of Tanzania
They practice polygamy, drink blood and live in mud huts of dung. We meet the wives and Old...
In "Grannie's Gone Wild", Lawanda introduces Linda to her friends and to the neighborhood by hosting a pajama...
U.S.S. Carl Vinson
We land on the aircraft carrier at sea off San Diego and watch jets launched and recovered, talk...
We arrive in a "Ben Hur" chariot; drive to Wadi Rum; talk to Bedouins,; tour the great desert...
Hot Air Balloon Date
In "We're Retired, Not Dead", the girls set Sandy up on a blind date. Sandy and her date...