Govind Armstrong’s Holiday Rack of Lamb with Rosemary and Thyme Ash and Mashed Root Vegetables
Ingredients for Rack of Lamb
- “Frenched” Rack of Lamb (7 or 8 chops on the rack)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
Directions for preparing Rack of Lamb
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Trim some of the fat from the bones between each of the lamb chops. (This technique is called “Frenching.”)
- In a small bowl, mix together cumin, coriander, paprika and brown sugar to be used as a rub.
- Place Lamb on a baking rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Generously use your rub on both sides of the rack of lamb, making sure to actually rub it into the meat a little on both sides.
- Once lamb has been rubbed, place 2 sprigs of rosemary and 2 sprigs of thyme on top of the rack of lamb and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes for a perfect medium rare rack of lamb.
- When lamb is done, remove from oven and let rest 5-7 minutes.
- Just before slicing the lamb, use a kitchen torch to light the rosemary and thyme that is on top of the finished lamb. As the herbs burn, not only does it create a great aroma in the kitchen, it also creates an “infusion” of the herbs that will add another level of flavor to the lamb. (Use a large kitchen knife to pat the herbs to control the flame and also spread around the ash. **USE CAUTION with this last step, as you do not want to catch anything else on fire. If you are not comfortable using a flame in the kitchen, this step can be skipped.)
Mashed Root Vegetable
(Prepare while your Rack of Lamb is roasting)
Ingredients for Root Vegetables
- 1 celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of fresh cracked black pepper
Directions for Root Vegetables
- Boil all diced vegetables together in lightly salted water just until they are soft.
- Drain well and with a hand masher, roughly mash all vegetables together with Maple Syrup. (Do not mash them smooth you want a chunky more rustic and hearty texture).
More From Who's Cooking With Florence Henderson
Leeza Gibbons teaches Florence Henderson how to make her mother's Crisis Chocolate Cake.
Leeza Gibbons shares her healthy living advice about handling stress through meditation and exercise.
Penn Jillette visits and tries to stump Florence Henderson in a game of truth versus lies.
Tim Conway tells Florence Henderson about his time in the army and using humor to get through all...
Meals on Wheels chef Scott Roark discusses volunteerism and leads Florence Henderson and Chef Govind Armstrong in making...
Actor Tim Conway uses his classic humor to show Florence how to prepare Chicken Tarragon.
Dallas' Linda Grey volunteers with Meals on Wheels to understand day-to-day preparations in the kitchen.
Christopher Knight leads Florence Henderson in making an updated version of the famous Brady pork chops and apple...
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy pork loin.
Meals on Wheels
Florence Henderson visits a Meals on Wheels kitchen and learns what the operation is all about.
Florence and Fran discuss Cancer Schmancer and her ideas about prevention.
Florence tries Fran and Meals on Wheels Chef Sonny Sonnhalter's delicious, healthy dishes.
Nutritionist Joy Bauer implores a new, healthier recipe for lasagna.
More from RLTV
What's Next for Larry
Larrry is brought to the Chester Country Arts Center to pursue a hobby that he has always been...
Host Dr. Kevin Soden takes an in-depth look at acupuncture treatment, and how it can help manage pain...
Viiewpoint introduces its audience to Curling, a sport that is popular and achievable amongst all ages, which can...
Carol Spence shows us how walking in a labyrinth can be a learning tool to health and healing,...
The Waverly Scotties, a boys high school basketball team in the midwest, face an unfamiliar opponent when they...
Roof Deck Garden
In this episode, host Michael Weishan shows us how to transform an empty rooftop deck into a low...
Jay and Blanchette Rockefeller
Senator Jay Rockefellere discusses his struggles of caregiving for his mother, Blanchette Rockefeller, a patient of Alzheimer's Disease.
Female Drill Sergeant
A female drill sergeant takes major strides as the first woman to lead an acclaimed army academy.
Healthline examines the various causes of substance abuse and alcholoism among people over 60.
Know the Score
In "Know the Score", Jean Chatzky delves into the science of credit scores. What determines yours, and how...
Making Your Money Last
In "Making Your Money Last", Jean Chatzky confronts the number one fear for the Boomer gernation: having enough...
An Italian retiree shares her love of her native language through teaching.
Learn how counterfeit money is produced and how you can identify it.
Managing Your Finances
Sometimes, the hardest part about managing your finances is getting organized. In this episode of "Cash Call", Jean...
Love, Marriage & Money
Do you tell the truth when it comes to money? More than half of adults say they don't,...
Take to the skies with a family of stunt pilots and wing walkers
Find out what is involved in hip replacement and who should consider one.