JOE MANTEGNA'S “PASTA FAGIOLI”
DEAN MARTIN’S FAVORITE DISH
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 6 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (fresh ground if possible)
- 8 ounces of Tubetini pasta
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large pan and sauté the onion for a minute.
- Add two cans of beans and six cups of water.
- Boil for 15 minutes then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cinnamon and simmer for 1 1/2 hours (low heat so it simmers slowly).
- Check occasionally and add boiling water as necessary.
- After bean mixture has simmered, add the pasta and continue simmering until pasta is al dente. (If you prefer, you can boil pasta in a separate pot, drain and then add to beans.)
- Remove from heat and serve with grated cheese sprinkled on top.