Leeza Gibbons’ – Chocolate Crisis Cake with Chocolate Icing
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup shortening (solid)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- With a mixer, add 2/3 cup milk and shortening to the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add 2 eggs and the rest of the milk.
- When all ingredients are mixed well, evenly pour into greased and floured baking pan of your choice.
- Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean.
Classic Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup unsalted butter- softened
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar (confectioners or 10x)
- ½ to 1 cup cocoa powder (amount depends on how rich you would like it)
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 4 to 8 tablespoons of heavy cream (whole milk if you prefer)
- Cream butter until fluffy
- Sift 3 ½ cups of powdered sugar and ½ cup of cocoa powder into the mixing bowl with butter.
- With mixer on low, mix until the sugar and cocoa are mixed well with the butter.
- Once mixed well, add vanilla extract (or almond extract), salt, and a few tablespoons of milk/cream and beat on medium/high for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- If icing needs a more stiff consistency, add more sugar (a little at a time). If your icing needs to be thinner, add additional cream or milk (1 tablespoon at a time).
HINT: Use Dutch Processed or dark chocolate Cocoa for darker richer cake and icing
Alternate Chocolate Frosting for Leeza Gibbons’ Chocolate Crisis Cake
- ¾ Cup softened butter
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream softened butter until light and fluffy
- Add vanilla extract
- Stir in cocoa powder and confectioners sugar alternately with the milk
- Beat to a spreading consistency
Store unused icing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
More From Who's Cooking With Florence Henderson
Leeza Gibbons teaches Florence Henderson how to make her mother's Crisis Chocolate Cake.
Leeza Gibbons shares her healthy living advice about handling stress through meditation and exercise.
Penn Jillette visits and tries to stump Florence Henderson in a game of truth versus lies.
Christopher Knight leads Florence Henderson in making an updated version of the famous Brady pork chops and apple...
Actor Tim Conway uses his classic humor to show Florence how to prepare Chicken Tarragon.
Meals on Wheels chef Scott Roark discusses volunteerism and leads Florence Henderson and Chef Govind Armstrong in making...
Florence tries Fran and Meals on Wheels Chef Sonny Sonnhalter's delicious, healthy dishes.
Meals on Wheels
Florence Henderson visits a Meals on Wheels kitchen and learns what the operation is all about.
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy pork loin.
Dallas' Linda Grey volunteers with Meals on Wheels to understand day-to-day preparations in the kitchen.
Florence and Fran discuss Cancer Schmancer and her ideas about prevention.
Tim Conway tells Florence Henderson about his time in the army and using humor to get through all...
Nutritionist Joy Bauer implores a new, healthier recipe for lasagna.
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy stuffed pork loin.
More from RLTV
Female Drill Sergeant
A female drill sergeant takes major strides as the first woman to lead an acclaimed army academy.
Healthline examines the various causes of substance abuse and alcholoism among people over 60.
Know the Score
In "Know the Score", Jean Chatzky delves into the science of credit scores. What determines yours, and how...
Making Your Money Last
In "Making Your Money Last", Jean Chatzky confronts the number one fear for the Boomer gernation: having enough...
An Italian retiree shares her love of her native language through teaching.
Learn how counterfeit money is produced and how you can identify it.
Managing Your Finances
Sometimes, the hardest part about managing your finances is getting organized. In this episode of "Cash Call", Jean...
Love, Marriage & Money
Do you tell the truth when it comes to money? More than half of adults say they don't,...
Take to the skies with a family of stunt pilots and wing walkers
Find out what is involved in hip replacement and who should consider one.
One woman's addiction to prescription medication puts her in a coma for two days.
Massai of Tanzania
They practice polygamy, drink blood and live in mud huts of dung. We meet the wives and Old...
In "Grannie's Gone Wild", Lawanda introduces Linda to her friends and to the neighborhood by hosting a pajama...
U.S.S. Carl Vinson
We land on the aircraft carrier at sea off San Diego and watch jets launched and recovered, talk...