MARIA MENOUNOS – PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA)
- Traditional Greek “Pasta for Pastitsio” (Pound of Penne can be used as a substitute)
- 5 Eggs, separated
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 oz. butter
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- ¾ Cup grated Romano or Kefalotyri Greek cheese
- ½ Cup olive oil
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- 1 16 oz. canned tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons bread crumbs
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta when done and place in a large bowl.
- Add ½ cup cheese and beaten egg whites to drained pasta; mix well and set aside.
Directions for Beschamel Sauce
- Heat milk in microwave (or medium sauce pan if you prefer) and set aside.
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, melt butter and add flour.
- Whisk for 1-2 minutes to make a paste.
- Add hot milk to your butter and flour mixture.
- Whisk mixture briskly to avoid sauce getting lumpy.
- Once slightly thickened, remove from heat and add the (well beaten) egg yolks a little at a time until all are incorporated.
- Place pot back over low heat and continue to stir until mixture reaches desired thickness.
Directions for Meat Sauce
- In medium pot, add olive oil and sauté onions.
- Add salt and pepper to the pot with the onions then add the ground beef, stirring well to break up ground beef and incorporate with onion mixture.
- After ground beef has browned, add tomato sauce to pot, stirring well.
- Cook for 10 minutes and set aside.
Directions for assembling Pastitsio
- Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Butter a 14x9x3 baking dish.
- Add half the pasta mixture to baking dish and spread around.
- Spread meat sauce evenly on top of pasta.
- Add the rest of the pasta on top of the meat sauce.
- Pour Beschamel Sauce over top layer of pasta and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle top with Breadcrumbs and some extra grated cheese if you wish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.