MARIA MENOUNOS – PASTITSIO (GREEK LASAGNA)
- Traditional Greek “Pasta for Pastitsio” (Pound of Penne can be used as a substitute)
- 5 Eggs, separated
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 oz. butter
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- ¾ Cup grated Romano or Kefalotyri Greek cheese
- ½ Cup olive oil
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- 1 16 oz. canned tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons bread crumbs
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta when done and place in a large bowl.
- Add ½ cup cheese and beaten egg whites to drained pasta; mix well and set aside.
Directions for Beschamel Sauce
- Heat milk in microwave (or medium sauce pan if you prefer) and set aside.
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, melt butter and add flour.
- Whisk for 1-2 minutes to make a paste.
- Add hot milk to your butter and flour mixture.
- Whisk mixture briskly to avoid sauce getting lumpy.
- Once slightly thickened, remove from heat and add the (well beaten) egg yolks a little at a time until all are incorporated.
- Place pot back over low heat and continue to stir until mixture reaches desired thickness.
Directions for Meat Sauce
- In medium pot, add olive oil and sauté onions.
- Add salt and pepper to the pot with the onions then add the ground beef, stirring well to break up ground beef and incorporate with onion mixture.
- After ground beef has browned, add tomato sauce to pot, stirring well.
- Cook for 10 minutes and set aside.
Directions for assembling Pastitsio
- Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Butter a 14x9x3 baking dish.
- Add half the pasta mixture to baking dish and spread around.
- Spread meat sauce evenly on top of pasta.
- Add the rest of the pasta on top of the meat sauce.
- Pour Beschamel Sauce over top layer of pasta and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle top with Breadcrumbs and some extra grated cheese if you wish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
More From Who's Cooking With Florence Henderson
Leeza Gibbons teaches Florence Henderson how to make her mother's Crisis Chocolate Cake.
Leeza Gibbons shares her healthy living advice about handling stress through meditation and exercise.
Penn Jillette visits and tries to stump Florence Henderson in a game of truth versus lies.
Christopher Knight leads Florence Henderson in making an updated version of the famous Brady pork chops and apple...
Actor Tim Conway uses his classic humor to show Florence how to prepare Chicken Tarragon.
Meals on Wheels chef Scott Roark discusses volunteerism and leads Florence Henderson and Chef Govind Armstrong in making...
Florence tries Fran and Meals on Wheels Chef Sonny Sonnhalter's delicious, healthy dishes.
Meals on Wheels
Florence Henderson visits a Meals on Wheels kitchen and learns what the operation is all about.
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy pork loin.
Dallas' Linda Grey volunteers with Meals on Wheels to understand day-to-day preparations in the kitchen.
Florence and Fran discuss Cancer Schmancer and her ideas about prevention.
Tim Conway tells Florence Henderson about his time in the army and using humor to get through all...
Nutritionist Joy Bauer implores a new, healthier recipe for lasagna.
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy stuffed pork loin.
More from RLTV
Female Drill Sergeant
A female drill sergeant takes major strides as the first woman to lead an acclaimed army academy.
Healthline examines the various causes of substance abuse and alcholoism among people over 60.
Know the Score
In "Know the Score", Jean Chatzky delves into the science of credit scores. What determines yours, and how...
Making Your Money Last
In "Making Your Money Last", Jean Chatzky confronts the number one fear for the Boomer gernation: having enough...
An Italian retiree shares her love of her native language through teaching.
Learn how counterfeit money is produced and how you can identify it.
Managing Your Finances
Sometimes, the hardest part about managing your finances is getting organized. In this episode of "Cash Call", Jean...
Love, Marriage & Money
Do you tell the truth when it comes to money? More than half of adults say they don't,...
Take to the skies with a family of stunt pilots and wing walkers
Find out what is involved in hip replacement and who should consider one.
One woman's addiction to prescription medication puts her in a coma for two days.
Massai of Tanzania
They practice polygamy, drink blood and live in mud huts of dung. We meet the wives and Old...
In "Grannie's Gone Wild", Lawanda introduces Linda to her friends and to the neighborhood by hosting a pajama...
U.S.S. Carl Vinson
We land on the aircraft carrier at sea off San Diego and watch jets launched and recovered, talk...