Virginia Madsen's Chicken Egg Rolls
- 4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts, chopped and seasoned with course kosher salt & Cracked Black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (1 or 2 tablespoons)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 8oz can bamboo shoots, drained & chopped)
- 1 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 ½ cups shredded Japanese cabbage (Napa Cabbage)
- 1 Tablespoon Black sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter (SECRET INGREDIENT!!)
- Soy Sauce to taste
- Egg roll wrappers (can be found in most grocery stores)
- One or two egg yolks lightly beaten (set aside for sealing the filled egg rolls)
- 2 cups canola, vegetable or peanut oil (for frying Rolls)
- Sauté chopped garlic in the Olive oil until just lightly brown.
- Add salt and pepper to cut up chicken breasts and place chicken in pan with garlic and sauté for about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove cooked chicken from the pan, let cool. Once cooled, finely chop.
- Add chopped chicken to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the minced ginger and red pepper flakes to chicken in mixing bowl.
- Add chopped bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, carrots and the seeded & deveined Jalapeno pepper to the chicken.
- Sprinkle the black sesame seeds on to the chicken mixture and toss together with the shredded cabbage. (The mix should look crumbled and everything should be around the same size.)
- Incorporate 1 to 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter into the mixture, making sure to mix it well with the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, separate two eggs and discard the egg whites. Gently beat the egg yolks and set aside.
- In a large clean frying pan, heat the peanut, canola or vegetable oil slowly until hot. Keep your heat medium low to medium and be careful to not let it get too hot or start to smoke.
- As the oil is slowly heating, prepare the rolls for frying.
Directions for preparing rolls
Serve with your favorite sweet and sour sauce or hot mustard. To make your own sweet and sour sauce, use Japanese vinegar mixed with strawberry or apricot jam and soy sauce.
- Lay out the egg roll wrappers on a cutting board.
- Add a spoonful of your chicken mixture on top of one of your egg roll wrappers and begin to roll it up like a burrito.
- Use a small pastry brush or your fingers and "paint" the edges of the wrapper with the egg yolks. Close the roll and fold the ends in and "seal" all the outer edges with the egg yolk. Be careful not to make the rolls too densely packed.
- When the oil is ready, gently add your egg rolls to the oil.
- Cook two minutes on each side or until browned. When browned, remove from oil and drain on a rack with paper towels under to catch the excess oil.
More From Who's Cooking With Florence Henderson
Leeza Gibbons teaches Florence Henderson how to make her mother's Crisis Chocolate Cake.
Leeza Gibbons shares her healthy living advice about handling stress through meditation and exercise.
Penn Jillette visits and tries to stump Florence Henderson in a game of truth versus lies.
Christopher Knight leads Florence Henderson in making an updated version of the famous Brady pork chops and apple...
Actor Tim Conway uses his classic humor to show Florence how to prepare Chicken Tarragon.
Meals on Wheels chef Scott Roark discusses volunteerism and leads Florence Henderson and Chef Govind Armstrong in making...
Florence tries Fran and Meals on Wheels Chef Sonny Sonnhalter's delicious, healthy dishes.
Meals on Wheels
Florence Henderson visits a Meals on Wheels kitchen and learns what the operation is all about.
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy pork loin.
Dallas' Linda Grey volunteers with Meals on Wheels to understand day-to-day preparations in the kitchen.
Florence and Fran discuss Cancer Schmancer and her ideas about prevention.
Tim Conway tells Florence Henderson about his time in the army and using humor to get through all...
Nutritionist Joy Bauer implores a new, healthier recipe for lasagna.
Chef Govind leads Florence Henderson and Christopher Knight in making a healthy stuffed pork loin.
More from RLTV
Female Drill Sergeant
A female drill sergeant takes major strides as the first woman to lead an acclaimed army academy.
Healthline examines the various causes of substance abuse and alcholoism among people over 60.
Know the Score
In "Know the Score", Jean Chatzky delves into the science of credit scores. What determines yours, and how...
Making Your Money Last
In "Making Your Money Last", Jean Chatzky confronts the number one fear for the Boomer gernation: having enough...
An Italian retiree shares her love of her native language through teaching.
Learn how counterfeit money is produced and how you can identify it.
Managing Your Finances
Sometimes, the hardest part about managing your finances is getting organized. In this episode of "Cash Call", Jean...
Love, Marriage & Money
Do you tell the truth when it comes to money? More than half of adults say they don't,...
Take to the skies with a family of stunt pilots and wing walkers
Find out what is involved in hip replacement and who should consider one.
One woman's addiction to prescription medication puts her in a coma for two days.
Massai of Tanzania
They practice polygamy, drink blood and live in mud huts of dung. We meet the wives and Old...
In "Grannie's Gone Wild", Lawanda introduces Linda to her friends and to the neighborhood by hosting a pajama...
U.S.S. Carl Vinson
We land on the aircraft carrier at sea off San Diego and watch jets launched and recovered, talk...