Virginia Madsen's Chicken Egg Rolls
- 4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts, chopped and seasoned with course kosher salt & Cracked Black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (1 or 2 tablespoons)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 8oz can bamboo shoots, drained & chopped)
- 1 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 ½ cups shredded Japanese cabbage (Napa Cabbage)
- 1 Tablespoon Black sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter (SECRET INGREDIENT!!)
- Soy Sauce to taste
- Egg roll wrappers (can be found in most grocery stores)
- One or two egg yolks lightly beaten (set aside for sealing the filled egg rolls)
- 2 cups canola, vegetable or peanut oil (for frying Rolls)
- Sauté chopped garlic in the Olive oil until just lightly brown.
- Add salt and pepper to cut up chicken breasts and place chicken in pan with garlic and sauté for about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove cooked chicken from the pan, let cool. Once cooled, finely chop.
- Add chopped chicken to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the minced ginger and red pepper flakes to chicken in mixing bowl.
- Add chopped bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, carrots and the seeded & deveined Jalapeno pepper to the chicken.
- Sprinkle the black sesame seeds on to the chicken mixture and toss together with the shredded cabbage. (The mix should look crumbled and everything should be around the same size.)
- Incorporate 1 to 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter into the mixture, making sure to mix it well with the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, separate two eggs and discard the egg whites. Gently beat the egg yolks and set aside.
- In a large clean frying pan, heat the peanut, canola or vegetable oil slowly until hot. Keep your heat medium low to medium and be careful to not let it get too hot or start to smoke.
- As the oil is slowly heating, prepare the rolls for frying.
Directions for preparing rolls
Serve with your favorite sweet and sour sauce or hot mustard. To make your own sweet and sour sauce, use Japanese vinegar mixed with strawberry or apricot jam and soy sauce.
- Lay out the egg roll wrappers on a cutting board.
- Add a spoonful of your chicken mixture on top of one of your egg roll wrappers and begin to roll it up like a burrito.
- Use a small pastry brush or your fingers and "paint" the edges of the wrapper with the egg yolks. Close the roll and fold the ends in and "seal" all the outer edges with the egg yolk. Be careful not to make the rolls too densely packed.
- When the oil is ready, gently add your egg rolls to the oil.
- Cook two minutes on each side or until browned. When browned, remove from oil and drain on a rack with paper towels under to catch the excess oil.